Monday, January 14, 2013

Squirrel pull toy


This paper mache pull toy was a birthday gift for a friend's little girl. Zach built the base and I made the squirrel. The tutorial, along with videos, is available on Martha Stewart's website.

A couple of things I learned along the way:

  • Apply several thin layers of paper clay. I applied 2 layers but think next time I would do at least 3 layers for a smoother surface.
  • You can speed up drying time between layers by placing the paper mache on a sheet pan in a 170 degree oven.
  • When painting on the dots, make sure the paint is not too thick. I used acrylic paint and noticed that some of the colors dried a little bumpy. Next time I would water the paint down a bit so the paint dries smooth. You only need to use a small amount of paint for each dot. The tutorial says to use a dowel rod to apply the paint but I used the wooden end of a paint brush.

Below is a photo of my squirrel when the first layer of paper clay was being applied. The paper clay really helps smooth out the surface.


No comments:

Post a Comment